Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Its Okay to Be Me...Acceptance & Confirmation


I finally have confirmation...I didn't realize that reading about other Aspies would lead to my being able to start accepting myself..but it most definitely has.
Confirmation...before I feel asleep last night I saw that word written above me. For so many years I had felt so at ease with my habits, quirks, thought patterns, etc..Now I am beginning to believe that I am a perfect being, in and of myself. So I may have to do little things to fit in and not stand out so much, but, overall, It Is Ok To Be Me. And it is comforting to have a name for it.
Aspergers sounds so much better than weirdo, queerdo and freakishly odd. :) AND the awareness is slowly growing. There are movies being made and books being written and the quiet Aspies are making themselves known!
Gosh, for years I have felt so estranged, thinking myself mentally incompetent and unfit for the daily challenges of this life. I honestly thought i was defective. I knew I was different, but could find no way of explaining it....How I searched, yearned and begged for an answer!!!!!
Over 45 years..it has taken me this long to self-diagnosis and discover that I am not A Defective!! I am an Aspie and all the puzzle pieces floated into place.
And for once in my god-forsaken life I feel that I have reached the one true answer that I have so earnestly sought. I have climbed the mountain...I have persevered through the storms...I have stood in the midst of churning, turbulent tornadoes and storms of lightning and hail and dammit, I have made it. This IS my destination. This Is my answer. This Is who I am and dammit, I like it. I like who I am and I am damn proud of the strength, courage and outright determination that has seen me through to this very point!!!! (Not that anyone will ever be able to grasp the sheer amount of effort it has taken me)

And I humbly thank my each and every reader, for being willing to explore this strange and wonderful world!! Thank You.
The feeling of confirmation last night (and yeah, I actually did see that word over my head written in the air) was akin to actually eating warm, soothing soup instead of the usual dried, cold bread. Comforting, ahhh, I like the feeling of comfort, and relaxing, as if I could actually start sinking into and feeling my own skin.
It is a huge revelation...that probably wouldn't have happened had I not embarked on this blog.
Right now...I am just so grateful....and I am just letting the warm feelings sink in

No comments:

Post a Comment