Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Monday, January 31, 2011

Zoning Out


Oh, this is a pleasant place. I have caught myself in the neutral zone. Granted I have spent many an hour, afternoon, day here but for some reason, I just seem to be aware of my different "states" more often these days.
Zoning is when I am just sitting and being. The hands on the clock keep moving. Whatever tv station is on changes from one program to another and I am, quite simply, just not completely with the program. What is so cool about this...place..this space..is that it is really calm, non-stressful, an absence of...hmmm, just about everything. I mean, thoughts are like, there, softly moving to and fro but I don't focus on anything in particular.
Its like the calm before the storm without any storm or impending doom. Different than a shut down because there is no exhaustion to overcome and there is no numbness anywhere.
I can probably best describe it as a really good, fairly deep daydream....NICE!

Its something that takes place most often at night after everyone has gone to bed and I sit in the master chair, the comfy lounger and have my feet kicked up. Although, (I scoff), I have noticed that when this happens during the day, say, when I am sitting at a particularly long red light, it takes a lot of work to get back in focus.
The lights are on, but no one is home or rather, no one is willing to answer the door. Its a very welcome break. And, yeah, I can do this for hours on end. It just seems like it has been a very, very long time since I have been here. My brain is on a little vacation...later