Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Friday, February 4, 2011

Sometimes....Mostly.....Often..the Aspergers Poem


Sometimes I think the truth is just a lie we tell ourselves over and over and over again
Mostly I feel that I am 2% human and 98% alien...I really tried working with this number to bump it up to 5% but it just refused to take
Often I think that NT's flow with the world whereas an Aspie has to learn to navigate and maneuver

Sometimes I think each individual NT is an extremely complex entity that is near impossible to figure out with their unique styles of language, gestures and meanings
Mostly I feel its the Aspie who is
Often I wonder

Sometimes within each moment, I feel like i have lived an eternity
Mostly hours, days and weeks simply pass me by
Often I live within the world of thought, thinking, dwelling over what has been, the infinite possibilities of the future and what the hell am i doing in the present :)

Sometimes I have the most brilliant, crazed, productive ideas
Mostly it amounts to fluff, you know the marshmallow kind that melts in your mouth in an instant never to be seen again
Often I have wondered whether there is more to a good day then figuring out how to get through it

Sometimes it is the little things that truly matter, the small things that have pulled me through
Mostly I try not to let people in on how profoundly caring and how deeply felt their kind gestures have been
Often I wish it were different and i could readily admit it without fear of retribution...people need to know how very much I appreciate them

Sometimes I wish it would stop raining
Mostly I put on my overcoat and waddle through
Often times I wish i had an umbrella

Sometimes I cannot see the horizon
Mostly I stand and watch the mist
Often I pray for the sun

Sometimes I pray for a sign from God
Mostly all I have to do is open my eyes to see it
Often I am asleep

Sometimes the door is open
Mostly it is nailed shut
Often I peek out, when no one is looking

Sometimes the curvature of the earth falsely leads one to believe that the end is near
Mostly I simply don't know
Often I wonder how long I must live in this pit of despair

Sometimes I wish I were you
Mostly I wish you were me
Often times the reverse is true

Sometimes I think that happiness is a myth made up by the evildoers
Mostly I laugh and believe that not true
Often times, I wish I could lighten up and smile more

Sometimes I amuse myself
Mostly, I think, I do it for the tourists
Often times I'm good at it, very good

Sometimes I think, Mostly I am lost (in thought), Often times it is my home and I am comfortable there

Have a good day