Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Friday, December 9, 2011

The Caged Animal Speaketh


Here's the set-up...once again, I am confined within my own home, to living in a single room upstairs. We bought a new television and the packaging is making me sick. I have a hard time breathing, my throat and eyes burn and I feel very unwell downstairs. My doctor assures me that I am nit crazy and that my symptoms and the reason for them are quite valid.
I have an inhaler, two different types and allergy meds and the windows constantly opened as I am assured the odors will probably dissipate in a couple of weeks. So I live in this room...and it's really hard not to feel like a subhuman type of animal who is less of value than the mighty tv.
It doesn't help that I was also diagnosed with a sinus/ear infection, started on antibiotics yesterday, am freezing, freezing cold all the time, weak and very tired. Sure, I feel trapped..who wouldn't?
I question my value. I wonder what it would be like if I ran my own show. Easy. I am pretty sure I would remove the offender if it affected my kids like this. Damn sure.
I would easily live without it if it caused anyone in ny family such distress...even if it was "only" for a couple of weeks....a week...a few days. Must be my values are different.
What's worse...living like this? Or not having the courage to try and change it.
Yeah, if I ran my own show...if I called the shots.....if I lived in my own house...things would be very, very different.