Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Aspergers Diet


After at least a full month of eating the exact same thing for lunch and dinner, I have made a number of observations. My breakfast of peanut butter toast and coffee has been in place now for years. The regimen of sameness for lunch and dinner and the amount of consecutive days with this arrangement is quite new to me.
For those two meals, I create a mixture of ground beef, spinach and cheeses. It is really easy and quick, almost painless, really, for me to shop for myself at the dreaded grocery store these days. The only items I need to worry about locating are snack items and there are only a handful of those.
Because I notice the extreme sameness, I am careful to incorporate some much needed fruits and vegetables into my snacks and have at least two for snack times throughout the day.
I have tried eating other, different meals that I used to enjoy periodically, steak, stew, chicken...but they have absolutely no taste to them. Its very much like eating paper. Unappetizing to say the least.
Overall, my nutritional quotient is being met and my weight has stayed the same, so I am doing okay.
My life has become a lot less stressful without having to figure out what to eat and make and cook a variety of food dishes. There is so much less to worry about. The stress of making decisions is now gone, at least for mealtime.

My diet makes me relatively happy. Its working