Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

People that Don't Wear Socks Freak Me Out or Socks with Sandals

Sandals, scandals, lol...I have issues.
First off, when people wear scandals, unless it's at the beach, it freaks me out. Something just is wrong with this. Call me autistic but sandals just expose so much, too much skin, body, you know, things that should be kept to oneself. Maybe I'm a prude, okay, I've been called that more than a hundred times in my life, but sandals only belong at the veach, not at the office, store or anywhere else. Alarms going off in my head when I witness this infraction.
You can wear whatever you like In the privacy of your own domain, but when you go out in public, try not to upset the sensible autistic.
It feels like it's some sort of sin, broken law or rule of etiquette that spontaneously throws me into a panic.
I always want to say, "Oh oh, you don't have any socks on!!!! Did you know that? Are you poor and can't afford them?" or some such drivel.
On the other turn of the coin, people that wear socks with sandals Freak Me Out. No kidding. Especially when worn to work.
(Okay, I'm starting to see that I have this weirdy idea that professionals, workers need to dress in "appropriate" attire.) The first time I ever saw such nitty-gritty feet  wear was on one of my "mental health vacations", aka, the funny farm, aka the local psych hospital visits-extended stay and a Nurse, yes, another one of those professionals that no longer wears a uniform or proper footwear, was wearing sandals with multi-colored socks. My detail orientated eyes were immediately drawn to this egregious error and I loudly, profusely declared to her my thoughts and that she should seek immediate redemption and correct this sin. Yeah, it being a psych ward she took me as seriously as a...well, a destabilized mental headcase, lol. Then, she proceeded to continue to wear this noxious footgear for days. Maybe she "liked to irritate the inmates, lol." Or she was comfortable, even as her feet screamed, "this is soooo wrong!!!" Oops, maybe that was simply the scream in my head. Too funny.
Anyway, try not to freak out your local autisic...wear a good pair of socks With your shoes!
The detail orientated Aspergian thanks thee.