Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Friday, June 24, 2016

Learning About My Boston Terrier

I took 1 1/2 year old Rosebud in for her shots yesterday. My vet is one of the best and explained a number of things to me.
Rosebud is a perfect example of a Boston in size, coloring and weight.
At 11 lbs, she is fully grown and falls into the smallest of the three Boston weight categories which is just Perfect for me.
She can't have nylabones or any toys that she can chew pieces off of. She is allowed these Kongs to chew on or only natural snacks like carrots or apples.
There are two types of Bostons, Hardy and Highly Sensative. Of course, Rosebud fits into the latter category just like me. I need to rotate her food which is gluten-free, chicken, beef and additive free. She will only eat one brand for a day or two so I have to keep switching them and make sure she is getting enough to eat.
She has allergies and periodic hair loss. She gets benadryl when she gets really itching. I've started supplementing her diet with half a sardine every day which has allowed her hair to grow back.
She has minor corneal scarring either from injury or dryness. I use an eye wash to rinse her eyes and am to apply a drop or two of olive oil once in awhile.
Vaccines make her very tired and lethargic for a couple days. This is completely normal. She is currently sleeping on my lap and has been way sleepy. Her temp is up a bit but that's another part of a normal vaccine response.
Bostons usually are known for barking a lot. Rosebud is atypical in that respect and rarely barks.
Watching her behave at the vets, she is a very outgoing, sociable little pup. She went greeting nose-to-nose with the big dogs without aggression or hesitation.
She has a wonderful, affectionate personality. I'm very fortunate to have her. It's wonderful to come home to her and have her in my lap. Taking her for walks gets me out of the house much more than my usual. She loves sleeping under the covers with me and readily moves and adjusts when I change position.
What a fabulous pup!!!