Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I grow old


Alone
Without anyone at my side telling me I age beautifully,
Having never watched my parents, aunts and uncles experience each decade with a new type of grace,
Seeing nieces and nephews at birthdays, parties, concerts, graduations and marriages,
Accumulating and practicing parenting skills solely from innate, immature guessing,
Having someone to turn to for advice, wisdom or comforting words,
Never holding family gatherings at my place,
Never having a grandparent/ special friend to accompany my kid to school,
Knowing my parents sins were both curse and blessing,
Knowing I can only count on myself,
Unaware of the common pitfalls of aging through watching and interacting with those around me,
Having no one who knows me more than a decade or two,
I grow old
And try to forget
That I am
And always will be
Without anyone
By my side
Unable to convey my confusion at these mysterious turns my body takes.
Unable to decipher what is normal and expected at each passing year.
The great mystery continues