Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

I managed to escape...hindsight

As I drove those four days in August, away from Michigan and toward the unknown West Coast, I felt as if I was escaping...something..dreaded and dark. I thought that maybe it was my early years or the dysfunctional family...but it wasn't. I was managing to escape from a cruel, selfish, toxic, damaging and degrading relationship that had ensnared me for over a decade.
It's funny how little you can see in the present. Things become so much clearer at a distance. You could be standing right next to a monster and not know it.
The farther away I am from sick people, the healthier I become. At least I've learned some of the signs, the red flags that mean "poison, don't touch, keep away." Lies, bold, flagrant lies that are told without any feeling or remorse. And they believe the lies and justify them. Sick, right? No apologies, ever, because nothing is ever their fault. Yes, in a lot of ways it was like living with a temperamental 3 year old who was forever throwing fits if the focus and attention wasn't 100% on her. Completely lacking in empathy and emotion. Ah, so many signs but those are the biggest.
I'm not afraid of getting involved...quite the opposite. I look forward to meeting new friends, falling in love, because I understand what Isn't love now. I believe there are more good people than bad and I've met enough bad to fill out my lifetime. It's time for all the good that I've been missing.
I pity those trapped in their own agony and self-hatred, but I don't have to sup with them. They make their choices to be cruel, to lie. My choice is to stay as far away from sick as possible.