Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, July 17, 2011

ALPHAS on SyFy....autism

So I found myself flipping channels and landed on this new, SyFy show called Alphas. Immediately, I was transfixed by this young guy who talked as pie and was full of gestures. Yes! He turned out to be autistic.
The storyline was okay and yes, I enjoyed the chick who could see energy and the other one who could talk people into things but far and away, I liked the autistic character.
I couldn't even tell you his name or what part he played in the investigation....I just wanted to watch him move in that very cool autistic way. It is sooo fascinating to see on the screen, someone who, albeit an actor, displays characteristics of myself. It must be akin to how my little guy feels when he interacts with someone else born with one hands. It's a kinship, a recognition, a sense that you are not alone or the only one who is a bit....different. The show delighted me. I plan on checking it out every Monday night at ten pm, no matter the storyline or plot. I just want to watch the very, very cool autistic guy!!!!!