Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Traveling Alone Autistic, predominant thoughts, part 2

I had always been intrigued with the beauty and power of trains zipping by. I had only had one train trip way back when I was 8. My mom had taken my brothers and I from our home in Grand Rapids back to our birthplace of Lincoln Nebraska.
The things I remember from that trip: seeing mom pin money into her slip, dad driving us to the train station where we each got to pick out and purchase one toy for the trip (mine was a colorful doggie with strings so that when you pushed the base the dog moved into a pose), running up and down the train car and seeing the stars from the viewing car.
My trip yesterday, one of the biggest hurdles was just walking into the train station and asking about which train I can take the farthest into Washington whereby I could take a return train within the same day.
The train station in Albany was an huge bonus, help in that the train worker I talked to was nice and kind and happy to help me figure out what I was looking for.
Centralia was the farthest away I could go. I'd never been in Washington at all, so I was looking forward to crossing the Columbia river into that new state.
Upon boarding the first thing that surprised me, no seat belts. 
The seats were tall and heavy duty, comfortable. I picked a window seat.
I liked that the conductors wore uniforms. 
The train teaveled much slower than I anticipated. I thought it would feel like it would go 100 miles an hour or more but I think it felt more like average car highway drive of 50-60 mph.
The train would slow down around curves or over bridges so I learned that.
I only left my seat once to use the restroom. I would have liked to walk around more and check out the dining car but I was just too nervous and that's okay.
I chose to wear a mask on the ride as it is a public place and I know many people have chosen not to be vaccinated. That's okay. To each his own. It was my choice.
The train was nice and cool with air conditioning so I'm glad I dresses in layers with tshirt, sweatshirt and leather jacket.
I traveled light without my big, heavy camera. I carried extra, lighter socks in case it got hot along with my comfort object blanket in my backpack.
I packed all my own soda, water and homemade snacks. I never eat when I travel for fear of food reactions or allergies. I brought biscuits and cornbread which was all I needed to eat.
I also packed maps, my phone charger, medication- benadryl, anti-anxiety meds, and ibuprofen. 
It felt like a monumental triumph just to board the train, take a seat, and feel the chugging of the wheels beginning to make miles.
I have had severe agoraphobia for most of my life. The farther I was from home, the more my anxiety used to grow. But I did okay.
Being without my car and at the mercy of the train made me feel in less control of myself and my environment. 
One odd thing I noticed, in observing the neurotypicals is that they seem 90% oblivious to their external environment. Whereas Aspie me is acutely aware of every little thing in my environment. And I am affected by each human that comes within my range.
The train makes a good deal of loud noises. There is the clanging of metal wheels, the hearty him of air blowers, the pulling and clanging of the train cars straining at each other like fighting siblings. The noises are so loud it drowns out the talking of other peoples. 
Movement. The train movements affect the entire physical body like a carnival ride. When the engine turned and jostled, my whole body felt all those erratic movements. 
A simple walk to the restroom was like a drunken walk on a slippery floor. And the boundaries were different because I'd have to hold on to other passenger's seats just to not fall down. 
Personal space was fluid, erratic and not set and stable.
The other noteworthy surprise which disappointed me greatly, the windows were filthy thus casting dust and dirt on the scenery I wished to view.