Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Greatest Movie in My World...


I simply adore the movie, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" and would highly recommend it to all. Not only is it free of violence and cursing, which is why I thought I enjoyed it so much in the first place...but it very accurately portrays Aspergers from four different points of view!
There are four main characters; Eric, the 10 year old boy, who makes friends with squirrels and an occasional adult; Mahoney, the frustrated genius who can't quite tap into her great potential; Henry, the Mutant, the socially awkward adult businessman, who learns how to play and connect; and Mr. Magorium, the aging inventor, comfortable in his own odd, quirky ways and quite prophetic!
Oh, how I adore this movie. From the first time I saw it with the odd, brightly colored, graphics in the opening credits, I knew this was something very special and highly unique. And I was cautiously optimistic, as I watched and somewhat in awe...could this really be? Why haven't I heard of this movie before? Why isn't everyone talking about it?
The first time I watched, I could easily identify with the boy, Eric, as he struggled to make friends and was ostracized at every turn. He could connect with adults who were similarly unique but not children his own age. His mother tries her best to help..but she endlessly worries about his inability to make friends.
And then there is Mahoney, the female character, played by Natalie Portman. She is a frustrated, oh, so frustrated composer, who knows she is destined for greatness, that she is so much more than a store clerk. Her character was rather difficult for me to watch, at first. Because I feel that same frustration of being trapped and unable to express the magic that is within.
On to Henry, affectionately known as "the Mutant" because he is an accountant. He never once balks at being called Mutant...probably because he does feel like an alien. He tries so hard to be helpful and to make his affections known but is stymied at every turn. He is afraid to connect and has no clue how to play. (One of the typical Aspergers dilemmas that I must address at some point. Aspies simply don't know how to play as children or rather, with other children) And Henry tries so very hard. He finds people that he would like to get to know better and finally figures it out!
Ahhh, Mr. Magorium...a stranger, more likable character has never before been seen. Right away, I was drawn to him. He is quirky, dressing in odd, colorful clothes (do you see the appeal, here? :), going against the mainstream, questioning authority or, the social norm and living his own life as he darn well pleases. And he is a kind, gentle, very wise soul.
Oh, the wisdom in this movie...I found quite profound!!!
And it is so pleasant and enjoyable. One of the few times that I have seen aspects of myself and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
I have watched this movie a few dozen times and will surely view it a few dozen more.
It is uplifting, makes you feel good inside and actually gives me a little tickle just to think about.
This is my bestest, most favorite movie of all times!!
Zach Helm who wrote and directed it, is a genius and hopefully, probably an Aspie to be proud of!!! Thank you Zach Helm!!!
Rent this movie, buy it, see it...and tell me what you think!!!! :)