Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

I hate being wet Wet Clothes

Argh, yesterday as I was moving the sprinkler, my shirt got soaking wet on one sleeve. It reminded me of how uncomfortable and downright irritating it is to have wet clothes.
I think it's a sensory overload thingy. You know, you accidentally get your sock wet and the neuro-typical tells you to "just ignore it," as its no big thing to them and the Aspie Can Not be okay and calm down until the offending clothing is off and replaced with something dry.
Geez, now this revelation explains why I was extremely bothered when, as a child growing up in a household that routinely had no clothes dryer, and we tried drying clothes for school with a hair dryer, which was only semi-successful, and I simply couldn't focus on school work or what the teacher was saying as I was irritated by the semi-wet socks, undergarments or shirts.
  Lately, I've started keeping a spare set of a complete outfit, pants, shirt, socks, etc. in a plastic bag in my car, just in case.
Being wet is a highly unpleasant experience that I try and avoid whenever possible. I know only other autistics and a few stray NT's will understand the depth of my dismay.
I'm just sayin'