Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Saturday, July 28, 2018

After the Party.. Being Social

I attended a party today. It was the first true social event, other than funerals, that I had been to in over a decade. Yes, a decade. I had a wonderful time interacting, having real conversations, with over half a dozen people over 2 hours.
I was so proud of myself. I didn't feel an ounce of anxiety or a single bolt of panic. I commended myself, feeling like I've reached a milestone I never thought I'd see.
A few hours later, autistic reality hits. Sure I spent about an hour flapping with a racing mind, but my distress simply grows.
My head is full of conversations, not just lying around repeating themselves and being analyzed, but fighting convos vying for attention, to be remembered and picked apart.
It's like fighting in my head and it hurts. My head hurts even after a couple of numbing drinks.
The flapping stopped, but my hands are clenching and my feet want to run. I'm near tears. Okay, I am in tears and I don't know exactly why. It's high distress, not a little discomfort. A pounding pain more than a dull ache.
I try to distract myself with television, music, video games but my head keeps pounding with the images, words, laughter and chitty chatty.
Im having difficulty calming down, dispersing the events of the party and finding solid ground again.
Okay, so in a way I did super well today. And in another way, its causing me great distress.