Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Gluten-Free and Aspergers


Well, it has taken me about a month, but I have officially been gluten-free for at least a couple of weeks now. It was...hmm, quite a process to figure it all out. I kept having to look things up on the internet and talk to others who have experienced this phenomenon, but, the kinks have been worked out.
I have lost 15 pounds in the process, as one big food category that went out the window was snacks and most desserts. I have found a glorious chocolate chip cookie mix and the old, plain corn chips that are my new snack choices.
I probably miss my chicken pot pies the most.
Anyway, breakfast consists of my very traditional peanut butter toast on GF bread. Its a horse of a different color, to be sure, but it works. At $5 a small, frozen loaf it is a more expensive breakfast but it seems, all the GF specialty made foods do cost quite a bit more.
I continue to work to find the foods that are naturally GF like rice, corn, fruits and veggies, and incorporate those into my daily routine.
I decided against going the full casein-free due to the hardship. While I did switch over to the Rice Milk, I am none too pleased with the taste. Next, I will check out the almond milk as I like almonds just fine. I have a new cereal that is my night-time snack...Rice Chex and those taste pretty good. I like my cheese and chips and cheese has been a fun snack food and sometimes a meal when I cannot find anything else. So, I haven't been able to let go of my cheese fetish quite yet but I have cut way back.
Likewise, I continue my activia yogurt, just because it really does keep my digestive system working in a smooth manner.
I eat a lot of chicken, hamburger and salmon. Salmon, now a days comes like tuna, in cans or ready-to-eat pouches. So I substitute the salmon for tuna in sandwiches and it has become a new staple.
Gone are any type of cakes, cookies or pastries. No more cream of mush soup or the tomato as well.
I have learned to ask for a hamburger minus the bun at fast food places. Most of the time, the clerks don't seem too surprised and the burger comes ready-to-go in its own little plastic container. I have taken to eating french fries now, where I didn't before. They help with that feeling of being full.
One of my funner finds has been the GF french fries, especially the Ore Ida Waffle Fries...OMG, the past week I have had them for lunch and dinner. Man, do they taste good!!!
I really have stopped cooking for the family..well, family meals anyway, I still make sure little guy gets regular meals, just not what I am eating sometimes. What I eat seems to be rather unappealing and bland for the rest of the family, so we make do.
I'm not exactly sure what my goal is here. I had heard that GF helps with autism, that those on the spectrum frequently have gluten-allergies, so I am just watching, observing and seeing if this makes me feel any better. I'll keep it up for quite awhile and see how it goes.
I definitely feel "lighter" these days as my pants are starting to fall down and things hang on me just a bit.
It is a long, sometimes frustrating process to change around my personal diet but I am willing to try it...anything to be healthier is okay by me.