Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Empathy


Empathy: the capacity to recognize and, to some extent, share feelings (such as sadness or happiness) that are being experienced by another sapient or semi-sapient being.
Ahh, but empathy has many different meanings. I always thought it was having compassion for someone else but that is only a fraction of what the word can actually mean. Here are some others: The capacity to know emotionally what another is feeling; The ability to understand and share the feelings of another; Knowing another persons internal state, including thoughts and feelings; adopting the posture or matching the neural responses of an observed other; Imagining how another is feeling; Feeling distress at witnessing another person's suffering.
Depending one which definition one uses....I have no empathy in that I am clueless as to what another is feeling or thinking...Absolutely Clueless. I couldn't even begin to guess what another is thinking or feeling. I completely lack empathy in that regard.
The only part of the definition that I do fully comprehend is the last one: feeling distress at witnessing another person's suffering. I have that to a tremendous degree. I no longer watch any reality television shows because I feel so bad when one person is putting down or teasing another, being picked on. I rarely read the paper for the same reason. I feel sadness when I read about a fire,or loss of a loved one. I even give up watching the news on television because sometimes it pains me so.
I think that I empathize with others who are going through an experience that I have gone through myself. I feel greatly for those living in poverty, for people who have been or are being abused. I understand grief and loss and parents of children with disabilities. I get what its like to be a mother and have concerns for their children. I empathize with other Aspies because I know the struggle and hardship. I comprehend those who are depressed and in pain.
Empathy is trying on someone elses shoes....Sympathy is wearing them
So what do I say when someone asks me if I am empathic? Ummm, no and yes.
The English language is so very confusing at times.
I have always considered myself compassionate.and for the most part, I think I had compassion and empathy mixed up...maybe..I think...not sure on this one.
If I had to answer the question, if I had empathy...I would have to say...I Don't Know.