Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Of Pocket Treasures, Fidgets, Geegaw and Gimcrack


Geegaw: a showy little trifle: bauble

Gimcrack: a showy object of little use or value


I love pockets! I can never have enough pockets on my person. I often, if not Always, have a treasure or two in my pockets. Well, lets change that to usually there are a couple of geegaws in my jeans pockets and another two or three in my coat pockets.
These are like me little pocketpals, talismans, worry stones, or, as my friend Buffy says, Fidgets. Whilst I carry them around all day long, I rarely fidget with them unless I am out in public. Either way, home or out, they are little bits of comfort and security.
I stumbled upon the word Gimcrack and found it so appropriate, but figured few would know its meaning. Besides it almost sounds like a decadent profanity and is quite amusing in that regard. Whilst gimcrack is the most descriptive, suitable word, frequently geegaw, doodad, trinket or bauble would probably works as well.
From what I remember about children...they frequently are quite happy to have pockets but typically outgrow their fondness in those teen years...not this Aspie.
So what pocket treasures can be found in me pockets? Oh, almost always a semi-precious crystal or two, ranging from hematite (for staying grounded), rose quartz (for self-love), fluorite (my personal favorite rock mineral with translucent shades of green and purple), tiger eye (for protection), petrified wood (some form our vacation to South Dakota...another grounding stone) and amethyst, to name a few.
Coins are a lot of fun as fidgets and whilst engaged in social conversations with me hands in pockets, that is what I am amusing myself with. Lighters are kindof fun to carry around as I like the smoothness and rounded edges.
During the Spring/ Summer months, in addition to picking fresh sage and lavender from my garden, I also tend to put a leaf or two into a back pocket. Flowers and herbs of varying kinds typically can be found in my shirt pockets. Every time I pass my garden, I grab a few stems as I find it irresistible and fragrantly fun.
Both my Eldest and myself can be found scanning the ground as we walk and picking up small amusements. Any pretty, odd or unusual little stone, bottlecaps,broken jewelry such as rings and cheap necklaces oft found in grocery store parking lots, small pieces of sculpture (ooops, I mean attractive rusted metal scraps), pieces of broken pens and dead lighters, discarded or lost bike reflectors, colored leaves and swirly twigs, buttons, busted zippers...you never quite know what you will find in the autistic pocket.
I deplore pants without pockets and refuse to buy or wear them. That's why I like to stick with good old fashioned jeans. I wear a lot of sports coats for the fit but mostly for the pocket spaces. I simply adore those inside pockets. So much can fit into them especially my checkbook and ever present reading glasses.
Just wanted to share......time to fidget with some gimcrack...toodles