Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ways to Amuse an Autistic


There are a number of things that amuse me and that I could sit and watch for hours. Here are some of them:
Anything that spins and twirls of its own accord. Personally, I am fascinated by mobiles and how they balance and move. I have made a variety of them with various materials. Long ones made of branches with a dreamcather center and feathers, beads and other nature found items. One was made completely out of Legos with people's hanging in precarious positions. Wildly painted wooden dowels and assorted small wood pieces composed another which still hangs in my basement. I am quite fond of the all lightweight metal one with sheet metal circles which is currently in my kitchen.
Not only mobiles but any little toy that moves or bounces from wind or solar is also good. My grandparents had one of those...dipping ducks that somehow continuously bent over looking like it was drinking.
I have a lightbulb shaped radiometer with a little twirly doodad inside that spins in accordance to how much sunlight hits it. My bank has three of those little solar powered dancing flowers for my pleasure and one of my friends has a similar dancing snowman.
I loved the Newtons Cradle my grandparents also had. My Aspergian grandfather had great toys at his house. Newtons Cradle is a motion device with five silver balls hanging by strings. If you pulled one, they hit in sequence. Very cool.
Aquariums are always easy ways to pass the time. For many years we had at least one in the house. Im glad to see that a number of offices are using them in their lobbies these days.
When I worked in the nursing home, I approached the activity director and talked her into putting up funds so I could purchase and maintain two aquariums for the residents.
Currently, I have a couple of parakeets in a cage in my dining room. They are akin to a very noisy aquarium with the occasional fluttering of feathers.
On our deck, we feed and water an assortment of birds and grey squirrels. I would easily get lst watching them frolick and play.
And then...if all else fails, if no toys can be had...all I need is a good window wherever I may be. I very much enjoy watching clouds, snow and the occasional rain. Simple pleasures....enjoyable visuals amuse me so.