Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Friday, March 23, 2012

Aspergers and Super Powers

It really isn't far fetched in the least, to consider the abilities of Aspergians to be super. Think about it. I have superb hearing due to my oversensitivity, excess neurons, and can hear a pencil drop from, not just across the room, but from another room in my house. I have detected engine noises that have thoroughly surprised my auto mechanic because most NTs do not notice such subtle change in engine sound and vibration.

One of the reasons that I am an excellent massage therapist, is that I hear high pitched sound when I come to an area of the body that is injured. I detect old and new injuries alike. I can tell when appliances are "acting up", need repair or are on the verge of calling it quits, all with hearing alone.
Until I needed glasses for reading, I had exemplary eyesight, both direct and peripheral, detecting subtle movement even out of the corner of my eye. I have a photographic memory which gives me the super ability to recall rooms and places, in great detail, years later. I need only read a page of a book once and I immediately absorb the information...if it is a subject I am interested in. My focus is very narrow and I can easily observe the minute path of an ant that crosses my path as well as veering the car, ever so slightly, as to avoid running over wooly bear caterpillars meandering through the middle of the road.

As an artist, I have the ability to look at a color, even a complex one with many different shades, and replicate it. It's as if I see and my brain can pull apart and separate out each individual color. I can look at a small child under five and know exactly what age the little person is in months. This one isn't 100%, but I am sure I average 75% or more.
My touch receptors are always in high gear. I can pick up a piece of clothing at a second-hand store and feel the....characteristics and age of the previous owner. I don't look at is as psychic mumbo-jumbo, rather I simply have double the usual sensory interceptors and feel much, much more than most.
On the down side, I get a little insect bite and my whole body overreacts. A pinprick sometimes feels like a small stab wound. Back to the positives, hugs from loved ones are one of the greatest gifts as I feel them throughout my entire body, almost to my core. Another psychic sensation of premeditation would be when I come down with a cold or flu, I feel those little, minute physical changes hours or days before I even look sick.

My overly zealous sense of smell allows me to smell the coming of a rainstorm and tell exactly what is cooking at the neighbors house, if their window is open. Standing in a crowd, it's easy to figure out who is wearing the perfume, baby powder and heavy sweat. Figuring out when the garbage needs to be taken out, when the bird cage needs cleaning or if something has "died" and gone bad in the refrigerator needn't be done by sight alone.
Ahh, the smell of Spring, Summer , all the seasons herald the changing of the seasons with ease. I can walk through the neighborhood and pick out individual flower species. Lilac, alyssum, lily and rose all beckon me with their sweetest of scents.
Looking at the relatively average abilities of someone with Aspergers, one can...most easily say, Aspies have Super Powers!

3 comments:

  1. I have just read this and I am speechless..... because you have just described me!
    My name is Adi , and I have gone through life in the exact same way... well, maybe not the under 5's age in months but my mechanical knowledge has continued to expand even further.... I cant look at an engine running and only see an object making a noise...no.. I see .. I hear..and I feel every single internal component doing its job.... being able to listen to each component individually . Im still kinda speechless how what you wrote is who I am..... I'm 40, and for the first 37 years of my life I had never heard of A.S ... It was a comment made about my daughter having 'autistic tendancies' .... I had heard of autism but unsure of how it effected people so I spent a few hours looking for something to confirm or deny my daughter being autistic....at no point did I think of myself until I Came across A.S ... The NT view didn't impress me but when I came across a blog written by a bloke around my age who had grown up not knowing and finding out in later life, his accounts of his childhood and his feelings echoed that of mine... as I read his words I could experience the feelings of the situations he had been through ... I kept on looking at various pages of aspie blogs and comments..... It wasnt the fact I had learned of some disability that was invisible yet carried a stigma with it, it wasnt that my 'weakness's ' had been pointed out in black and white.... it didnt have anything to do with what the so called experts thought...... No.... I'm a person who has a very mechanical mind.... most problems I look at in a mechanical way... when something breaks it needs a diagnosis... be it a piston engine or the human body.... when something breaks or not performs as it should a diagnosis needs to be made on the facts presented in front of me.... In my everyday life I have always worked as a mechanic.... my most useful feature is my ability to diagnose faults.... no guess work involved... based on the facts and a connection with my senses the problem is quickly found.... I have gone through life not performing as I should.....if seen by those in the NT world.... so many abilities which I dare not talk of for fear of being laughed at... Nobody I knew talked of things I can do.... it was a secret only I could enjoy... So knowing I was different but with no facts in front of me... like the existance of A.S and not knowing of anybody talk of being like me I could not make my own personal diagnosis.... this did create frustration and a head full of so many thoughts and feelings that it all became just noise.... and me lost in that noise being tormented by myself ...and the world couldnt even see. When I discovered A.S I didn't need the experts opinion... it gave me the facts to my own diagnosis...it gave me a key.... allowing me to explore my mind and put everything in place .... now everything made sense... I could see the facts and my original diagnosis that I made when I was 4 or 5 is that YES ..... I do have super powers :)

    I'm honoured to of had the pleasure of experiencing your blog .... I really felt part of it.

    Adi 'STOCK' Wood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much! I'm glad you found this post. That's so great that you are aware of your talents. Yes, reading about Aspergers made it easy to accept my oddities. So much of what we think, feel and experience is not stuff most talk about. I, too, have been tremendously helped reading the blogs of other Aspies.
    Thanks so much for reading and sharing. You've made me smile:) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about the machinery awareness - I have a diagnosis of Asperger's and I fly light aircraft; when I fly, I am aware of not only the aircraft and its subtle movements, sounds and feel, but also the airflow around the aircraft: what it is doing, where it is going, what is happening with the entire flight package as a whole. It's one of the reasons I love flying so much, and why I feel so at one with the machine and am such a 'natural' pilot. Fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete