Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Gluten-Free...the results are in... and Soy Allergy

In actuality, I have only been GF free for a couple of months. I thought it had been a year but I am still the dumbest smart person you will ever meet. Up until a couple months ago, I was continuing to take my Benefiber tablets as I have faithfully ingested two or three of them a day for many moons.

The package seriously actual states, "99.8% gluten-free". So I read and comprehended the GF part but completely neglected the number. The first ingrediant listed is, "wheat dextrin". Hello? Yup, sometimes I'm an idiot.


What is so very ironic is that I was taking the fiber supplements for, dare I say, constipation and it was the supplement that was actually causing the problem. Within a few days of stopping the Benefiber I noticed a dramatic change in my...intestional health. Not only that, but the biggest change I have noticed is a striking drop in my anxiety level. I think it's safe to say, that on a scale of 1-10 with 1 denoting complete absence of anxiety, I usually operated at 5-8 for the most part. Now I am living at 1 and I am loving it! In addition, my eye contact has improved, my digestive system is much, much calmer and regular, my physical tics are way, way down and I feel like I "fit" better in my body. Gone is the compulsive, germ-phobic handwashing. I haven't felt a need for more social contact but the interactions I do have are of higher quality with increased alertness and less tension.




In reading a new study, I surmised that I really need to work on going Casien-Free as well. Since I successfully figured out the GF diet, I am well-versed in how to go about the whole intricate process of major dietary change. Gone will be the Activia, Kefir, cheeses and, sadly and with great remorse, Mr.Snickers. Thankfully I have recently discovered Strawberry Jello in the refrigerated section as well as 2, count them 2, different snack bars that are GF and CF. So I am well on my way.


Sure I'll whine and grumble a whole lot more, but I'd rather be healthy than happy. The results of the GF diet have proven to me that a little discomfort is worth it.




The other point that interested me in this article is soy allergies often accompany gluten intolerance. It was only a few months ago that I noticed an immediate allergic reaction to soy. At first I just figured it must have had sulfur or wheat somehow mixed in, but nope, I am quite allergic to soy and not crazy.


Another day, another revelation