Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Odd Autistic Observations about Going to Church

I enjoy going to my church. It's a warm, friendly welcoming place, plus I get a lot of hugs there😊.
A few things strike me as nonsensical. 1) Everyone is handed a bulletin with an outline, the songs and readings all written out. I understand that we need the songs...but, why on earth is everyone reading the readings out of the bulletin instead of watching the live, in-person speaker? It makes sense, to little ol autistic me, to watch the speakers and the preacher instead of reading it along with them. I don't get it and it bothers me.
2) There are "attendance cards", I kid you not, which ask for your name, are you a member, will you be receiving communion????? Um, like, why do they need that information? The ushers do a headcount and I'm sure God knows if I'm there or not. I refuse to fill out cards. It makes no sense and I'm not in school or needing an attendance record.
3) In a similar, kinda, vein, I refuse to put my weekly offering in an envelope with my name printed on it. Granted, some people may need that for tax purposes but I certainly do not. No one needs to know how much I tith but me. I'm an anonymous donor, thank you very much.
4) This item doesn't apply only at church. I abhor coat racks. Seriously? Coats are left unattended and out-of-line-of-sight and no one is concerned that their pockets will be rifled through or stolen? Maybe this is my "autistic and more attached to personal belongings than humans" thingy, but it creeps me out. It is not a requirement that I leave my coat. No one bugs me if I wear or carry it in. My coat does not leave me side as all its pockets contain goodies and important stuff, bottled water, gum, wintergreens, emergency inhaler, emer. anti-anxiety meds, important notes, keys, snacks, all kinds of items I want near me and unpilfered.
Anyway, I had to get that off my chest...the four biggest, oddest things this AspieGirl just doesn't understand. 😊