Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Low Gear, too many changes, too busy

I'm definitely running in Low Gear working to keep my cookies and prevent shutdown and overload. Within the past 2 days I've had 4 appointment changes/rescheduling and each and every day this week has at least one appointment or have-to-do.
Both my son and myself started seeing new therapists which means two healthy packets of paperwork that require filling out and visits to 2 totally new offices. That, in and of itself, can cause Autistic overload. Add the appointment to get the car fixed, acupuncture treatment, my 1 1/2 new survivor group and post office mailings and I'm trying to pilot a full boat without any relief.
I usually work it so that I have at least one, preferably two, full days off during the week. This week is anomalous and distress in the making.
Sure, laundry needs doing, the floor could stand a vacuuming and dishes are piling up, however, I am conscious of the fact that weeks like this readily produce exhaustion and shutdown, therefore all unnecessary tasks are suspended and put on hold, deemed extravaganzas, if you will.
It Is a personal challenge to listen to my body, my mind and recuperate instead of chores. I've learned to let things lie when my days are this full one after another. Maybe this weekend I'll catch up or maybe it won't be until sometime next week.
I am learning how much stress I can handle and how to deal with these everyday tasks.
Low Gear is where I am at and where I will stay until I manuvuer through this most hectic week.
Nice and Slow
Easy as she goes
Take Care