Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, December 16, 2018

The Avocado Dilemma, High Histamines, Food Was Making Me Ill

Food was making me ill. It didnt taste good. I felt irritable and unwell after eating. I spent most of my time trying to figure out what to eat and why I felt so bad.
My boyfriend suggested I try avocado. So I put a thin slice on a piece of toast. I loved the texture and taste but...my tongue felt like it was swelling. How weird, I thought.
An internet search of "can I be allergic to avocado?" turned up "Avocados are high in histamine and may cause an allergic reaction in under 1% of the population." Holy cow!
Then I looked up "high histamine foods" and started checking off each listed food that I have had a reaction to:
Spinach
Shellfish
Yogurt
Kefir
Cured meats
Canned fish
Fermented Soy products
Fermented grains
Tomatoes
Wines, beer, champagne
I have previously had an unpleasant reaction to Each and Every food on the list!
Searching further, I discovered that some foods whilst not high in histamines themselves, cause histamine to rise and are called "histamine liberators." They are:
Pineapples
Bananas
Citrus
Strawberries
Nuts
Cocoa
Egg Whites
Whilst I did occasionally partake of these foods, I usually could only stomach a couple bites. They just didn't agree with me yet I did not have a huge, overt dislike of them.
I've spent hours reading these past few days, discovering what foods I should avoid and which ones are histamine low.
Yesterday was the first day I was histamine low and I felt mighty strange, but in a good way.
I'm starting to learn to cook so I picked up a butternut squash which I had never tried in my life. I had to learn how to handle and prepare it. I ended up baking a few slices of bacon, then cooking the cubed squash in a little bacon fat.
In my food research I discovered bacon was a natural oil to use in cooking and that it is high in oleic acid which is the same component of olive oil that makes it heart healthy. I chose bacon over manufactured canola oil.
Trying my first bite of squash, (I only prepared about a quarter of a cup of it, as I wasn't sure my energy spent chopping it up would be worth it, especially if I found the squash unpalatable.) I loved it!!! Gobbled up my serving and ran to the kitchen to prepare More.
After eating, wow, how to describe? It was like a smooth, comforting bandaid for my stomach and everything inside. Peaceful digestion. A very new feeling that's taking some getting used to.
Not only is butternut squash low in histamine but it also helps heal leaky g*t. (I can't tolerate the g u t word!!)
I ate half a squash the first day and the other half the second. I crave it and it tastes wonderful!
Combined with my low oxalate diet, which inhibits my lichen sclerosis, I am actively working to improve my health!!!