Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Monday, December 20, 2021

I remember being little and how much it hurt

I remembered for the first time today, what it felt like to be little, nothing more than a pre-toddler, and endure having my mother wash my face after a meal. It felt like she was maliciously rubbing my face with sandpaper.
Everything, every small, ordinary and necessary thing from hair washing, teeth brushing, washing up after meals, clothes on and clothes off...those things hurt me. I cried and screamed a lot because the people, when they touched me, hurt me. They didn't know I was Autistic. They just thought I was obstinate, defiant, too sensitive or simply disagreeable. Autism wasn't in my family's vocabulary even though many had it.
My mother would put me in my room and shut the door. I was her most difficult child she will swear by it to this day.
I wasn't difficult. 
I was Autistic.
People were hurting me. Each day, every day I hurt from ordinary things. 
No one understood why Amy was so broke and unhappy. 
I remembered the feel of my mother simply, lightly, washing my face after breakfast. I cried. I cried then. I cry now. I was getting hurt all the time. I remember now.