Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Monday, December 20, 2021

Mother's White Gloves

When I was a very young child, it was the 1960s and my mother wore white gloves whenever she would leave the house.
She had many different pairs. Some had raised fabric like stripes on the top, three or four lines. Some of them had buttons. All of them were similarly silky and soft.
My favorite gloves were the ones that had a small button in the center, underneath the wrist. I loved two different button kinds. One type had a smooth, shiny, mother of pearl luminescence and the other, even more favorite, were the gloves with the small, white, fabric covered button, almost crocheted looking.
I loved to touch the gloves, especially the button ones. Mom could only tolerate so much. Some days she couldn't tolerate me touching and playing with the button at all.
Read faces. I learned to look at her face to see if she was happy or mad. I learned which faces she made and when it could touch and not touch.
I loved mom's white gloves.