Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, June 1, 2023

I clearly see my Aspergers when I'm around others, like they hold the mirror for me

I stopped by the local food pantry today. I was different from the others picking up food and different from the workers. I could tell by the way the volunteer looked and talked to me that I was different.
The other clients were talking more and there was a constant exchange between volunteer and client like a hot potato game for two. I could sense how their words volleys and played off one another.
When my volunteer looked at me or spoke, I dropped the potato, I dropped the ball. Deadpan. Silence. I couldn't figure out how to make my words dance and interact with hers.
Like taking wads of toilet paper and throwing it onto the ceiling for no one's amusement but my own.
I play tennis. My opponent is a wall 
I write and text and in my own domicile all seems fair and well but, when I step out my front door, all bets are off. I'm on my own. Playing solitaire while everyone else plays games and trade cards.
I feel completely normal, till I go out my front door.
Around others I can see my frayed edges, purple hair, dirty feet and collegiate, nonfitting lingo.
I've been home much much. Feels best to just stay in, immersed in my Autistic blankets of normalacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment