Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Stranger Things, What I Don't Understand

Everyday things oft befuddle me. Maybe it's just me who notices small anomalous blips of chaos displayed in world Neurotypical. Or maybe I'm the odd man out actually observing and aware of discrepancies. 
Case in point:
I remember when I would drop my son off at his grade school. Like a few other parents, I walked my child to his classroom by carefully maneuvering down a crowded hallway filled with the morning squeals of the soon-to-be educated.
At the start of his second year, I noticed one set of parents that brought their child to school and, for some reason it caught my attention that they always had their travel cup of coffee in their hand. This stymied me. True, they were the first, and, if memory serves, the only couple of parents who never entered the building without a cup in hand, thus they stood out to Aspie me. Plus, it was a practice that I had never witnessed previously.
This propelled my thinking. We're they worried that their coffee would get cold in the car if they had left it in its comfy, specially made for such a purpose cup-holder? Was their need for caffeine so overpowering that the thought of being without it those 5 to 10 minutes that it took them to wrangle down the hall left them sad or distressed in some way?
I could not find a reason that anyone would do such a thing, carry a hot liquid into a school, and navigate a crowded hallway with beverage in hand.
I mean, it appeared that all the other parents managed to get their kid to the classroom without a cup. Somehow, this couple was different. And I could not figure out the reason for their uncommon action.
To this day, it was a nonsensical act that they purposely engaged in each and every time they brought their child to school whether it be summer, winter, rain or shine. If they were in that hallway, they had cup in hand. 
Strange

No comments:

Post a Comment