Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Being Nice

(Fair warning, I have had a drink, yes, one drink makes me inebriated and pretty goofy, I'm a very cheap date)
It was really kinda weird, the clerk at the pharmacy smiled when she saw me and trits to the counter like she's happy to see me. It was a complicated series of refills and she remained enormously pleasant and smiley.
So, as I'm walking out, in the car and once I drove home, kept thinking "why was she being nice to me?" This is a reoccurring thingy in my adult life, peoples being nice to me and me trying to figure out what that's all about. See, I'm sure as hell not used to it. It's as strange as the sun rising at midnight..it just doesn't happen to me. I'm used to being invisible unless someone wants something or is manipulative, playing a prank or out to get me. People simple are not nice to me. Yeah, I run with a bad crowd.
Anyway, so I was deeply immersed in thought when this odd idea popped up....instead of the question, "why is so and so being nice to me?"....a better question is, "why aren't more peoples nice to me?" And the latter truly is a valid question because I'm not some nonessential personnel, yesterday's garbage or simply Wednesday's Child (and yeah, Wednesday's Child Is full of Woe and I seriously was born on a Wednesday, go figure). I'm not a wallflower, mean girl or cuckoo nest. I really am a pretty darn nice, kind, quirky and caring autistic masquerading as human. No, really, I daresay you will be hard pressed to meet a nicer person...so...WTF?
Okay, first off, Obviously I need to surround myself with a classier, more caring crowd. I've heard of this thing called "compliments" before.....just not in my current world.
Now ain't that just plain sad and mighty disgusting? I think so.
When you scrape up, pick up the baby bird that has fallen from the nest, don't you feel even slightly inclined to treat it more gently than the baby in the nest?
Maybe it is just me...I'm considerate and caring and a lot of others just plain aren't.
  Ok, so if I take two kitties to the vet, one gets shots, the other gets surgery..I'm going to treat the one who had surgery, the one whose day/ life is more painful and traumatized gentler than the shot cat. But see, that's me. I think. I understand and I care.
The question no longer is, "why is she being nice to me?" but rather, Why isn't everyone nice to me? What's wrong with them?
See what I'm saying?
  Better choices, a better crowd, must make better choices...it's like I've been a dull color of paint on the wall no one notices...shucks...that sucks
Word