Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, August 18, 2016

An Accomplished Morning

Started off to the bank shortly after it opened. A very nice young banker, Mr. Smith, assisted me in setting up a checking account for my direct deposit. I was surprised by all the forms and formalities involved in opening up a simple account. We weren't in a hurry so it went just fine. Banking set-up: Done.
We stopped at my church and had the opportunity to meet one of the pastors. He was easy to talk to and easy to understand. No troubling accent or fast talking to throw me off.
Next, we went to our Meyer store. It's like a small Meijer or advanced Kmart. Three times I asked for assistance in locating items and each time the clerks were kind and helpful. We managed to pick up everything on our list.
Younglink asked if I could buy him some cool Star Wars pajamas. I reminded him of how many pairs of new pj's he had sitting at home. So, I turned and looked at the houseplants. I picked one up that I really liked. YL said, "Can we afford that?" before I even put it in the cart. I smiled and put the plant back. Yeah, the guy was right..it wasn't part of the budget and I could easily live without it. He's getting smarter everyday!
Once the groceries were put away, the puppy was walked and new paperwork put appropriately away, it was time for the 40-50 minute phone calls to Social Security to update my information. They have the most annoying, nondescript music playing while on hold, I kid you not.
After that, a couple more change of address phone calls and then on to lunch.
YL and I got a lot done. The morning went smoothly. This afternoon the temps are traveling to triple digits so we get to rest and relax indoors, play games and watch some tv. I'm glad I picked up the big, box fan earlier in the week. It could be running most of the weekend.