Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Accomplishing Little Things that are Big Things

I'm trying my hand at all kinds of new things. Sure, they may seem ordinary, minor, maybe even paltry but to me they are big things as I've never accomplished these feats before.
Yesterday, I was so proud of myself for putting a bed together with a little help from Younglink. I found the right agency office and sat for an hour filling out paperwork all the while panicky and nervous on the inside. I asked for clarity on a few points and I even burst into tears at one answer. I didn't apologize for it either. Tears happen, especially in new situations or due to stress. It actually felt relieving. I don't feel the slightest hint of embarrassment. It's just who I am and how I roll.
I went the cheaper, risky route and ordered a self-installation cable tv kit And I was able to successfully hook it up, again with help from my young man!!! So very pleased with myself!!!!
I've noticed that I'm 95% happy, not simply content but a step above, happy. The other 5% of the time I'm terrified. Not a bad ratio, all things considered.
Each day I become a little more at ease and familiar with the roads and stores. If I lash out in frustration, I'm quick to realize my error and apologize to Younglink for any colorful outbursts. His maturity and understanding are at an all time high.
He's even starting to grow a mustache and is quite thrilled!!! He's hit that "chunking out" stage that I've heard about. Rapid body growth going on and a deeper voice as well. I'm really pleased with his adjustment. He's doing very well!!!
Rosebud has finally realized she can relax because she is home. She had a terrible time travelling and was constantly nervous. I love seeing her sprawled out without an ounce of anxiety.
Life is good...life is very, very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment