Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

So Tomorrow. ..

I've recovered 90% from the stress of moving which is highly, highly remarkable given the four days of traveling over 2,000 miles!!!!! So, tomorrow we actually have a day off from appointments and I want YL and I to find ways to interact with people.
We can stop by our church again. I'd like to meet and talk with one or both pastors. They are a husband/ wife team so it should be fun. Plus, I'll get a look at the church and talk with the secretary or anyone else hanging around the office.
We will do some laundry. I'll show YL how to run the machines again and see if we can find any neighbors to talk with. We really do need to start going for walks around the neighborhood now that we are acclimated.
We need just a few groceries, so off to Safeway or Fred Meyer. I've been really proud of myself for keeping our food budget so low. Food stamps won't kick in for a week or two, so I am careful about what I buy. The only item I need to buy is a calender to hang on the wall to keep track of things.
Maybe we'll stop at the public library or go for a stroll downtown. I'll set up a checking account at a local bank. That's my only have-to-do thing.
I'll go through some boxes and try and locate my son's birth certificate and last year's IEP. I know I packed them somewhere.
YL and I decided to forego a couch and just use one bed in the living room with the other being in the bedroom. He and I will put the frame on the living room bed.
I saved some more money by ordering a couple used books online. No need to buy new when used will work just fine. One book is on Oregon birds and the other is Oregon plants and trees. The flora and fauna are quite different and currently unidentifiable by me. I like to know the name of things.
One of our gas stops on our way here was in Rufus. Rufus was a bit scary, like a backwater town, Deliverance style. The gas attendant said there were too many...goatheads to take puppy for a walk. He said goatheads are sharp or spiky or something. I should know what I'm walking puppy in and what to avoid.
Anyway, yeah, time to meet, talk, interact and take some steps around town. Should be fun!!!