Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Apartment Living

Our new apartment is beautiful. Big living room window opposite a bedroom that's half built into earth with an equally large window. I noticed, on my walk tonight, that a number of apartments face the noisy street, not me. Our apartment faces the parklike green grounds.
I love the nighttime sounds. The first night here I listened to crickets. We are fairly close to railroad tracks, and I love the sounds of the train around 10 pm each night.
On our walk at the park tonight, I noticed a number of homeless guys, some of whom live within the park. Homelessness looks to be a huge problem in this region. When you can easily endure the elements year-round, people will live in the outdoors.
Another warm day up in the 90's. Didn't really notice it as the temp spike was just for a few hours late afternoon.
We drove around town a bit, too. I like to get familiar with my surroundings a little bit more each day.
I survived my big meltdown at little guy's school yesterday. I'm not sure why it happened in that I couldn't pinpoint the exact cause. Sure, there was a big lineup of people I didn't know, in an unfamiliar place but I didn't feel overly anxious. I started feeling faint and a bit dizzy until I figured out the right course of action...running to the school office for help. I don't mind the uncontrollable tears anymore. And the secretary seemed very nice and understanding. I get stressed and it pours out of my eyes at times. It's just how I roll.
Now tomorrow is a big day as YL goes solo for orientation whilst I complete his enrollment stuff at the office and pay fees.
I do want to meet his teachers to explain his writing difficulties. I keep getting blowback when I ask to meet them and I don't understand why. Maybe most seventh grader parents don't need to meet their kids teachers but I Do. I need to see who he is dealing with all day long. They need to understand his special needs And mine. I'll broach this again tomorrow.
I put up more pics around the house. It's time to keep unpacking the boxes a bit each day.
Today was the first day little guy didn't complain about the move. I hope my meltdown didn't bother him but he is a little kinder today. He remarked that he doesn't tell me he loves me enough and that he'd never seen me cry like that. I explained it is no big deal and it happens pretty frequently but I'm perfectly okay. He sees my struggle that was previously hidden. We spent a lot of time watching and talking Star Wars today. I'm genuinely interested in his new info that he shares. I like the discussions we have. I truly do. He has a lot to say and share.
He didn't complain about our daily walk either. Well, not too much anyway. It was a new trail at the park, a more wooded, wild area. I only walked a few blocks before it was time to return to a familiar area. I love the rose park they have there. Literally, dozens and dozens of huge rose plants in every shade and smell imaginable. We will explore more tomorrow after orientation.