Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Friday, October 14, 2016

What Does God Look Like?

Here's a clue...there are no wrong answers here.
Lately I've been picturing God as a beautiful Middle Eastern woman in a white hijab. Being raised in the Catholic church, God was portrayed as the male, white bearded, old man.

Personally, I believe God is how we picture Her or Him, if you choose. God is neither, either, both or genderless, as He is in a category all by herself. Calling God "it" to avoid a gender doesn't seem right, so I will interchange the pronouns to try a little rigid thinking expansion.

I don't want to be one of the automatons, the millions of cogs that perpetually turn and churn the same old, same old ideas and beliefs that were inherited from my parents or heavily impressed upon me by a dogmatic, strict doctrine. I want to think for myself.

When I think of God, there is a feeling as well as an image that changes periodically. Just because the "face" changes doesn't mean my respect or love ever changes. Maybe God appears differently to different people. After all, I believe a small piece of God lives within each human being, animal, tree, plant, rock, drop of water and breath of fresh air. Maybe as we grow, mature, evolve and transform, so does our image of what God looks like.

I've been listening to Joan Osborne's, "One of Us". I love the song and it puts me in a place to question and examine my beliefs. In the song is a line "What would you ask if you had just one question?" For years, I had surmised that I would ask "How am I doing?" Funny, because now, at 53, feeling wise and slightly weathered from storm after storm and battle after battle, I actually could not think of a single question I'd want to ask.

Maybe that's faith...or trust...or just knowing that everything is going okay and God has my back as well as each of my future steps mapped out.

I've spent oodles of time thinking of God. I thought it might be time to share my thoughts.

What if God was a beautiful maiden in a white veil? Would He love me any less? Nope

Be well.

Think for yourself.

Believe what works for you.

It's all good.

Believe in yourself.