Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Monday, June 11, 2012

Bare feet and Dirty Knees



My knees were dirty today. Anyone who knows me is well aware that the venture into summer and the "wearing of the shorts" is no mundane adventure. I rarely wear shorts. Last year, I think, was the first time that I wore them three or four times all season.

I actually had to go to the store and buy shorts, as I had none in my clothing closet. I am no fan of trying on clothes in stores. Used to be I felt it was time consuming, anxiety ridden and awkward. Now I realize that it is just something that needs doing. So I grabbed a few pairs off the shelf, took a number of deep breaths, slowed my self down and entered the dressing room.



I bought two pair. When I returned to the house, I further walked into unfamiliar territory, outside my zone of comfort, and changed into a pair Without even washing them first. Bold? Stupid? I was just plain hot.



Thus my story of why I am wearing dirty kneeS. I haven't even washed them off, don't plan to, it's a badge of courage:)



The other item of new adventures....I decided to walk barefoot allll the way around the yard, down the driveway and into the street. Rarely can I be found sans socks, much less minus me shoes. It felt incredibly strange. Grass is moist....kinda sticky. I could feel the very uneven texture of the lawn, the little divots here and there, along with remnants of buried acorns. Moss, plain dirt, thick and thin grass, all had a certain feel.



I walk very slow, as if on brand new, uncertain footing...only because it is a virginal experience for me. It's like buying new feet and a thousand new neurons. Oh, the feel of it all. The driveway was exceptionally rough and into the street, well, I was even slower as the loose pebbles poked, prodded and threw me off.



I can only imagine how strange I look to others, walking on these brand new feet. Too early to tell if I like it, but it seemed to be the right thing for me to do....experiencing the ground. Must process all the odd and strange sensations.



I'm doing a little work, putting some effort into being outside the box...trying new things:)