Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Monday, February 4, 2013

Things I cannot do...Multi-tasking




Multi-tasking
I am completely incapable of doing or thinking more than one thing at a time. If I'm eating, don't talk to me. If you want me to finish cooking dinner, don't walk in the kitchen. If I'm driving, no conversing in traffic please.
I cannot be both an Aspie and an abuse Survivor, at the same time. Even though I always and forever will Amy the Autistic Incest Survivor, I can only grasp one identity at a time. It's like I'm in a boxing ring with only two corners...one says Aspie and the other Abuse. I can only be in one corner at a time.
For months, I have been in the Abuse corner. It's time for a break. I'm going to try and straddle the center of the ring.
Because I'm in here...somewhere.....underneath the heaps of scars and memories. I'm really here alongside my quirky and eccentric autistic twitching oddities.
Somewhere....in this ring....in this middle...I'm just plain me.
I've been standing in the corners so long....I have completely forgotten who I am.
Time for some "Conscious Amnesia". I'm not going to be either an Aspie, or a Survivor for a spell....at least until I can find myself.