Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sleeping in my clothes

If you want to freak people out, just mention that you sleep in your clothes. I have no idea why this is such a big deal. Apparently, it is far from normal and a sign of disorder in some realm. Not in mine.
Being autistic, transitions are difficult and getting ready for bed qualifies as a transition. I like staying up late, as late as possible, even if I have an early morning venture scheduled. I just don't like having to stop daytime activities and turn into sleep.
I am highly cerebral. I am always thinking, plotting, planning, anticipating events that may appear in my way. I try and cover all the bases and not be surprised or startled by the unexpected. Plus, my brain is just naturally always turned "on". It's my normal.
I take Nightime meds to ease the transition, but I rarely go gently in to the night.


Mostly, I change begrudgingly into jammies, but it's nt a prerequisite. It's not as if my clothes are dirty....how do you qualify clothes as dirty anyway?...they have no dirt or grime on them. Being a girl, I do remove anything "binding", if you know what I mean. Other than that, I see no harm, no foul, no egregious error. Big Deal.
I think it's the whole "societal norm" that makeseople nutty about this subject. People may disagree, but I don't find it unhygienic. I get up and wash and change most mornings. I try hard to make sure my odor is non offensive when leaving the house.
There's my two Aspie cents worth.
Sometimes I sleep in my clothes. No big whoop. Get over it.
:) Be well!