Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Feeling Cohesive

  Okay, I probably should have remembered to smile as I took this selfie with Nana, but it was really hard to hold my camera still and get both of us in the frame.
Last week was my first venture out to my friends horse farm in a few years. I loved seeing the horses I remembered and a couple of new ones. The pony fold had also grown from 5 to 6. It felt refreshing to leave the city for a few hours. I spent my time brushing the ponies and getting  reacquainted. My favorites were Athena, the dark, brown-haired girl with a beard and Wilma, the donkey. Both females have always displayed nervousness and anxiety so  I was careful to respect their feelings and would back off if they showed signs of wanting to leave the stall. I'd let them calm down and dictate to me how much they wanted to be groomed and handled. I understood them and gave them more attention than the playful and confident male ponies.

 I'd forgotten how calming it was being around animals. It's an external focus for this inward, autistic mind. Each pony has a personality and if I stood and watched quietly from a corner, the hierarchy was evident. Lol, boys are bullies, outgoing and playgul, nipping at my coat. I loved the feel of their coats and manes, each one was different. As I groomed, I talked to them in a soothing, reaffirming voice. It may have been awhile since the ponies were handled and thoroughly groomed. I think they are the "little guys" on the farm and the horses end up with more attention and hands on care.

  I decided that I should drive out there, once a week or so, and spend time grooming and talking to them. It makes me feel good inside. I can never get enough of that.