Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, February 26, 2017

It's weird having a friend..

It's been so long since I've had someone to talk to who listens, asks questions, offers advice, cares and considers my needs and feelings. I spent yesterday with my new girlfriend, M, and we shared quite a bit about our last relationship, custody and all.
It's complicated...I mean, I hardly know M and it sounds like she sincerely wants the best for me. Can that be true or possible? That's one aspect.
Another line of thinking is that...well, it's feeling embarrassing when I relate how I allowed my ex to treat me so badly. I feel stupid, like a chump, and it certainly doesn't feel good. I put myself down because I should have seen all the emotionally abusive, narcissistic, bullying signs long before 18 years into the relationship. I can only imagine ex thinking along the lines of "you can't respect someone who is kissing your ass" as I was forever puckering up. I never received respect. People that caught up in their own twisted selfishness don't give any consideration to anyone other than themselves.
M thought I should've filed for divorce, support and child support. I laughed. A decent ex would have done that without the court system. I continue to have a low opinion of myself and what I'm entitled to, what I deserve and what is fairness anyway? I need to address this with my therapist soon. I'm not at all sure my son should be spending time with someone who so easily abuses and uses people. I have an appointment with my son's therapist next week and one of the items I want to discuss is, how healthy is it for a young, impressionable teen to spend three months with someone that emotionally cruel and unhealthy? I really like his therapist and trust her to help me make the right decision for my kid.
It's quite wonderful having a friend. I continue to become more social.