Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Travel, Hotels, Glass Elevators, Revolving Doors, Adapting





So six of my last ten posts have started with, "So I went to this conference last week...". And probably the next 20 posts will begin in the same fashion...
So, I went to this conference last week. Change and new things can be quite challenging.

At the hotel, within the first ten minutes, I was presented with three rather fearful and scary scenarios. Yes, three in those first few minutes.
The first threat was the automatic revolving door. I am familiar with the non-automatic kind. You know, the ones in which you control them all by yourself. Those I understand and have experienced.
Upon arriving at the front of this hotel, it was quite clear that this was no average non-automated model. It may have even said Automatic on a sign, either way, I was startled to the point of coming to a complete and abrupt stop. Luckily, I was with a small group of seasoned travelers and had they not kept moving, i surely would have stood there for a spell...just trying to comprehend it. Was it safe? How did it work? What if I got stuck? Is there another entrance?
Yes, there were a couple of other single, normal opening doors off to each side. I don't remember clearly but i think I took the side doors in and out for the first half dozen times or so.
All I kept thinking about was Will Ferrell as Elf and how he played, running and screaming in the revolving door until he got ill and threw up,only to jump back in the door again. It looked much less menacing on the tv screen.

Moving on to hurdle number two. As we were checking in, I noticed that there was a glass elevator in the lobby. Dang, but i am sure they have another "normal", enclosed model somewhere for those of us who are afraid of heights. My companions informed me, Nope. So we piled in.
I took the position of being in intimate contact with the number board, the farthest away from the glass and muttered obscenities under my breath the entire way up to...wait for it...the second floor.

Whew, I thought my challenges were over..until I looked down the Open Hall that led to our room. By Open I mean it was like an open-air walkway with a four foot high wall on each side and nothing but air and a clear view to the lobby below. No, not fun.
Since there was no way around this one Either (yes, I say that with a bit of exasperation and disbelief) I walked directly down the middle away from both edges and not looking down or off to the sides.
Enough already. I mean, new places are mountains enough but pass through the three challenges was quite overwhelming.

Okay, so I stayed there two nights and two and a half days. During that brief time period...everything about these three changed.
I am Aspie and I adapt. The key to a successful life is in the ability to be flexible and adapt.

The first half dozen times riding the elevator nothing really changed...but the next day...I figured the elevator must be relatively stable. So each time I used it, I ventured a little farther away from the number board and started peaking around. And each time, I felt a wee bit more secure and safe so that on our last day there, my friend and I got in the elevator along with some other lady who was going to the fifth floor. And I had to convince my bud that we really should ride it all the way up. And we did. Granted, I stopped looking down half-way up but I did it. I set about to challenge myself to overcome, deal and adapt. I succeeded.

The revolving door was a similar situation. On my own, I was able to check it out a little more thoroughly. I would covertly watch people going in and out and kindof figured out how to probably do it right without injury. So I did. And I kept doing it until it became downright fun. I kept finding myself doing this little dance, this skipping to get on it. I did have to self-restrain myself because secretly, I wanted to go round and round until someone threw me off, but I did not muster the courage for that one..too many people in the lobby.

The elevator and door which were clearly huge problems when I first met them, became playthings. I actually looked forward to them with the door coming in first place.
Now that darn walkway...well it never got comfy cozy or turned into a plaything but I did get used to it enough not to worry or dwell on. I probably continued to stay close to the center of the path, (I stopped paying attention so I'm just not sure) but I did catch myself lightly glancing over the sides and admiring the art on the walls on more than one occasion.

So, this Aspie was downright pleased with her "performance". I figured the conference would go one of three ways. Either it would go really, really bad...really, really good...or somewhere in the middle. It went really, really good.