Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Agoraphobia versus Topographic Agnosia

Logically, now that I have acquired this new info regarding Place-Blindness, I would have to disagree with me calling myself agoraphobic per se, as I am not afraid to leave my house, rather, I am afraid that I will not be able to find it if I venture out. For that has been the real fear...will I be able to find my way back home? And that is the way that it has always, always been..as long as I can remember.
My family, partner and kids, have travelled to Oregon, South Dakota, Cape Cod, Outer Banks, North Carolina, North Dakota, Kentucky, Tennessee, New York and Wisconsin. I always knew travelling was disconcerting and challenging, fraught with lots and lots of anxiety, but as long as partner was in the seat beside me or walking next to me, I managed. My foremost strategy has always been to keep her in sight, preferably right next to me. Now I understand why travelling has been a battle for me.

I cannot begin to explain the depth of extreme elation that I experience when I have been either far from home or away for awhile and then I turn into my own driveway.
How have I done this for so long? How have I lived with this condition...anxiety knows my name. I have fraught with this. I have found various coping skills and mechanisms, and mostly, I just do it, over and over and over again. I fight through it. Its just another item in the very large backpack I carry around everywhere with me, under my coat so hopefully no one can see.
This would be so damn funny if it wasn't so fucking true. Part of me Is in disbelief...and looking back..omg, there is a reason I lean towards anxiety..to put it mildly. Shit..I don't think anyone deserves this much baggage, really. And part of me is relieved...because it all makes perfect sense, now...perfect fucking sense.