Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Monday, May 28, 2012

Sometimes I Like Having Aspergers

There are moments, minutes, sometimes even hours, when I revel in the amusement of my Aspergers. I mean, how many peoples can thoroughly enjoy imaginary relationships and find comfort and care in mythical, personal interactions without another physical body present? I can take vacations without ever leaving the house.
The other day I was at the grocstore (a neologism for grocery store, thank you Bob) and I was mesmerized by this little bird flitting around the produce section. I mean, no one else there was able to capture and observe this very small detail. I very much enjoyed just standing there and watching birdie fly from ceiling perch to ceiling light and tritze over, most casually, to the fresh parsley and snag a few bites. The rest of my shopping experience was spent trying to locate little birdie and see what he was up to.
I hate to think that it is us against them, the nts, because we are all in this together. Everyone struggles in one way or another.
Sometimes I worry that I divulge too much "inside information" regarding my inner mechanisms and workings, but then I remember I am trying to enlighten nts and find support among fellow Aspies.
I think about the absolutely fascinating inner world, with it's multitude of rooms full of volumes and the series of doors, windows, defenses and moots. If an nt walked in to my main library, they would be stymied, because all the books are in a foreign language, mine, AspieSpeak.
Everyday I muddle thru, manage to maneuver whilst keeping myself balanced between inside and outside...but sometimes it's quite delightful. I have a richness, a vibrancy that cannot be touched or measured. I am my own person and I cater not to societal norms, fads and crazes. I am free, in that way.
What was it some wiseman said, "if you care what other people think, they own you." See, no one owns me, but me.
I walk my talk and talk my walk. A more honest person you would be hard-pressed to find. I pride my self on always giving my best, trying my hardest.....and I know that, now. I am quite remarkable, my Aspergers makes me so:)