"I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me."
- I want to write, but more than that, I want to bring out all kinds of things that lie buried deep in my heart.
(regarding her parents) "I wonder if anyone can succeed in making their children absolutely content."
- Sometimes I believe that God wants to try me, both now and later on; I must become good through my own efforts, without examples and without good advice.
"From whom but myself shall I get comfort?"
- Oh, so many things bubble up inside me as I lie in bed....
"I feel wicked sleeping in a warm bed, while my dearest friends have been knocked down or have fallen into a gutter somewhere out in the cold night....And all because they are Jews!"
- The children here run about in just a thin blouse and clogs; no coat, no hat, no stockings, and no one helps them. Their tummies are empty; they chew an old carrot to stay the pangs, go from their cold homes out into the cold street and, when they get to school, find themselves in an even colder classroom.
"Leave me in peace, let me sleep one night at least without my pillow being wet with tears, my eyes burning and my head throbbing. Let me get away from it all, preferably away from the world!"
- It is impossible for me to be all sugar one day and spit venom the next.
"For myself, I remain silent and aloof; and I shall not shrink from the truth any longer, because the longer it is put off, the more difficult it will be for them when they do hear it."