Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Friday, September 29, 2023

A Documentary about Adults with Aspergers Autism; Too Sane For This World

I watched this movie the other night. I have oppossing viewpoints. 
At first glance, I was thrilled to see a show full of Adult Autistics. They did a good job of representing the whole range of the Spectrum from the "normal" appearing Aspies to the mildly verbal ones. I shared a little commonality with this one and that one, and i thoroughly could relate to the entire film. That is anomalous. 
Usually, I turn on a tv or watch a movie and it is all neurotypical. Here, here was something completely different, a show about others like me. 
Then, about halfway through, tears. I found myself crying. The individuals were describing how they only discovered they were Autistic when a spouse or partner pointed out their odd behaviors.
Aspies cannot self-see that they are Aspies; that they are quite different in a majority of subtle ways. But I saw it. I saw the deficiency. I saw the slow on the uptake, confused lostness, and naivete. I saw the challenges of holding a job, being in a relationship, going to school, and getting through an ordinary day.
It's like people run a marathon, uphill, carrying motorized scooters and not realizing there was an easier way. Not seeing their own struggle. Mistaking it for normal.
I looked it the rare uncovered mirror and I was saddened to my core. If I ever ventured out of my isolated existence, that is how I might appear to others, stupid, slow, with a glaze of perpetual confusion plastered on my face.
I continue to walk around, in the dark, holding a burned out candle and having no clue how to ask for a match.
Grief. I felt grief.
The movie is well done in presenting a wide variety of Autistics in their own words. My feelings are a mixed bag of trash and treasure.