Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Friday, March 8, 2024

People Talking Too Loud

I attended my annual review at the local health department. I was greeted by a staff member who said we had met before a few years back ergo she probably remembered I had Aspergers.
In her office it quickly became clear that she was intentionally talking in an overly loud voice. This is not new. I have frequently encountered others who upon knowing of my Autism feel that being Autistic must make me a little deaf in this ear or that and they will talk in an exaggerated and loud manner. 
My kind landlord has always done this and I have yet to gumption the courage to talk her down and ask her to lower her voice to a normal level.
I was encouraged to speak up with this staff worker as the acoustics in her tiny office provoked me to desire to cover both ears tightly with both hands. I waited till she finished a sentence and then I struck: Could you lower your voice a little, please?
She readily complied. I breathed a huge inner sigh of relief. Such acts of bravery are few and far in-between for thee.
I am so grateful, proud and pleased that I could speak for myself, out loud, and make a mandatory event less painful.
One thing I consciously did do was try to surmise whether her voice was naturally loud by nature (like a couple of my elderly neighbors) or if she was doing it due to my Autism. It did require a few minutes of careful listening to determine it probably but not positively was due to my Aspergers. The manner in which she easily slid into a non-loud tone told me I was most likely correct. Heck, a normal speaking voice does not rattle the walls.
So, that is one aspect to consider as it would be offensive to ask of someone who usually moderated in that tone. 
It is not uncommon for others to speak to me in a louder-than-normal voice upon learning I am Autustic.
It is acceptable to politely ask someone to lower their voice, too.
Feeling brave. Hooray!