Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

It doesn't feel safe to drive

Yesterday, I had the near miss with the bicyclist who flipped me off. I'm apprehensive while driving by cyclists these days. I take extra precautions at each corner and turn. Constantly anxious.
Today, well, I was turning left downtown and immediately to my right were two fire trucks surrounding an unconscious, injured or dead body lying spread eagle, face up in the middle of the street. I saw his jacket and lower body completely unmoving. It was clear the fire trucks had just arrived but no one was rushing to his aid. The rescue personnel were just kinda standing and looking.
I was shocked, hurt, devastated. What had happened? Was he alive or dead?
I'd never seen a body lying in a street like that. Big city life is losing its allure.
What if I'm driving and come across a body lying in the road, in front of me? What if I can't change lanes, don't see it or can't stop quick enough.
I'm afraid to get behind the wheel, to be completely honest.
An unexpected, traumatic, sad sight today making me rethink things and feeding my persistently running fears.
I just want to stay home. We needed groceries which was the only reason I was out. I know there are places I must drive to but I Don't Want To. Streets are no longer safe. My world is shaking...and so am I.