Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

What it feels like to switch, MPD/DID

This past week, aka, known as one of the worst weeks of my life, I've become aware of when I switch.
In therapy last week, as I recounted a tale, I switched twice. The first time, it's like my vision changed, everything became clearer and I could feel my lips moving but I couldn't hear any words, then after a few minutes I was back.
The second time, the first thing I noticed was that my voice changed to someone younger who spoke much differently than I. Can't recall what exactly was said, but I know the verbage was that of a child.
Today, I saw the crisis counselor. Again, I noticed that my vision changed and my head position changed. I lost the ability to maintain eye contact. Since this counselor was new to us, yet very friendly, nice and welcoming, I pulled the speaker back in as it wasn't ideal or truly safe to fully switch in front of her.
This awareness is all new to me. Kinda interesting. Just sayin'