Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Figuring things out

My son and I decided that this current church just doesn't work for us. The congregation is out of our age range and not enough young people his age. The sermons are lacking, uninspirational and downright slow and uncaptivating. The pastor asked if she could help so I stated my simple needs but they couldn't be met. So it'd time to move on. The church was friendly enough but it lacked warmth. No good.
In talking to my mental health counselor, she agreed that she had heard the same issues with this church from others. Once I told her what I was looking for, she suggested the Unitarians. I'll have to go talk to them and then attend a service to see if it might be a good fit.
Side note: Oregon is one of the least organized religion states in the union.
I figured out why laundry went so bad and wrinkled last week. It's simple really, I was over filling the washer and dryers so the clothes were just a mess. Today, I loaded much less and I ended up with only a couple of things to iron. Problem solved.
Sleep meds work pretty good. Biggest side effect is that it turns on this "hunger everything tastes really really good thing" so I've put on a fee pounds even with the twice daily long walks.
I've decided I can't afford a college course right now. I could probably do it but it might be too stressful even if I had the money. Besides, I want to continue to give my kid a solid foundation.
On that note, I did set up an intake interview to get him a therapist to help with the move and his feelings about his birth defect. We will see how that goes. The center specializes in children and has a good record. It might be helpful to him.
School has gone wonderfully for him. He was accepted into a group and talks about a few friends everyday especially an 8th grade girl that he shares multiple interests with. So proud of him for doing his best.
I found a guy my age to chat with. I'm swimming in a sea of college students so it's refreshing to have almost daily talks with him.
So, yeah, continuing to figure things out.