Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Home Sick

Yeah, dealing with the flu in the house this week. I had appointments to cancel that I may reschedule tomorrow. Little guy is back at school. Boy, was he a happy guy today. His teachers and friends asked about his absence. He was just one bright ball of sunshine talking about his buds and maybe plans to go hangout at his best bud's house a day this weekend.
The short walks I took Rosebud out for reminded me how much I miss being outside for an hour or two everyday. On one such walk, a neighbor asked about Rosebud and if she was an Emotional Support Dog. We had a nice, brief conversation. It felt good to have a small chat with someone nice. Dogs are great icebreakers.
Well, the nights of sound sleeping are over. My sleeping pill hasn't been refilled and the doctor at the med center says they only recommend sleep pills for 2 weeks and then off of them. I can't believe it is going to be difficult to get a simple med refill that gives me such relief from the insomnia. After all I've been through...the trials, tribulations and side effects I've dealt with from other sleep meds..so that's why I hear about others with ptsd smoking legal pot. Don't think that I could do that...still seems wrong even though it's perfectly legal...I dread the long nights again. I really do. Turns out consistent sleep was a little blip not a new and improved way of life. I'm quite disappointed. I see my new physician late October so no possible relief till then. It's not the docs fault that the drugs now carry a black box warning and are tough to get. I still am sad to hear this, though.
I'm going to try a local acupuncturist next week. I need some type of energy tuning just to maintain and improve my health and keep down the mental chattering. I'm on a waiting list for a therapist but I may go through the insurance approved list again, and see if there is anyone with availability. My therapist was my only stable, weekly connection and I miss that talk time.
Food stamps are working out great. I budgeted well for this first month, no out of pocket food costs. I love the absence of wasted food and a refrigerator full of leftovers no one will eat. I've taught little guy the joys of no wasting food in a very effective way. He knows we eat up the leftovers before anything new gets cooked.
Speaking of cooking...one of his classes is a home ec, cooking class. He loves it. Last week, he made a smoothie. This week, well, today, he was thrilled to make rice crispy treats. Not only does he love cooking but he also has a friend he really gets along with in that class.
He's been taking the bus for over a week now, to and from school. Of course, he loves his independence and prefers the bus than having me drive him. Gosh, he's matured so much. Love that son of mine.