Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, September 15, 2016

My first solo mile-long trek & my evil plan

I went on my first, long, solo walking adventure to the library. It's about a mile away and little guy and I had walked it numerous times. Trekking solo is way more challenging than walking with someone or even my dog, Rosebud. I can't say for sure why this is, but I entertained a few theories today.
There are no distracts. My thoughts are my own. I believe that I felt danger or unsafe for so long that it's my go-to emotional state. I'm working to correct that by mental affirmation multiple times every hour. I call it a form of "mental gymnastics" and brain retraining.
Another very possible reason is topographical agnosia, my fear of getting lost or unable to find my way home. As I drove to Albany, the other day, I quite seriously constantly felt like I was going in the wrong direction. My wondrous brain has no compass so as I enter an entirely new landscape red lights flash and buzzers continually go off telling me that I am utterly lost. It's akin to trying to walk through a madly swinging swaying gauntlet. I need to remind myself that I'm not lost, I'm okay and I can find my way home.
I do believe these two reasons somehow combined made my victory over the long walk oh so sweet. Another feat conquered !!!
Now, the evil ruin-my-son's-life plan part...once again he is being assigned homework of the dreaded "reading log" whereby he needs to read 30 minutes a day. He deplores this task. So, I am instituting a no-tv policy of an hour each school day, just so it's easier to read. I'm not going to tell him that's why I'm doing it or he'd be upset. In addition, I picked up a couple of Star Wars books that he likes and will leave them on the desk, in plain view, for him to see. I won't remind him to read as I think the books are proficient bait. Yep, that's the plan.
Anyway, I'll have to write about yesterday's stuff at some point. Now, on to reading and resting.
Yes, I am proud of myself 👽❤