Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, September 1, 2016

New Area of Town

Little guy and I walked to a new part of town. It's the street that runs along the river. We saw some cool modern sculptures, more rows of roses, a real live skater park built under a highway. About a dozen kids of various ages were riding bikes, scooters and skateboards in a block sized concrete area with dips, hills and curves. I'd never seen anything like it before so I had to stop and observe for a bit.
Ran into more homeless sleeping on benches and congregating in small, smoke filled groups. Actually had my first panhandler verbally ask for spare change. Most of them just hold signs with a variety of sayings. They are mostly called "sign flyers". I've seen young couples with everything they own in backpacks or pushing carts. Often times they have a dog which kind of surprises me.
One backpack guy was walking by and he had an assortment of signs all held together by a ring, hanging from his pack. I've encountered hitchhikers and seen people without shoes and very dirty feet.
It's weird because people frequently interact with panhandlers without giving them anything. I've heard a number of just polite conversation or small talk. They aren't ostracized but treated with some respect. I guess Portland was going to evict a street full of homeless today. I wonder how that went. They just move on to different parks.
Walking in the park, I've seen sleeping/ living areas in secluded parts. It's a bit unnerving. Having never experienced homeless people, I'm wary and uncertain of what to think. I avoid strangers as a rule but these are stranger strangers so I give a wide berth.
The street trash containers are often decorated and have holders for flowers, as shown. The flowers are pervasive and a welcome sight throughout downtown. Every corner seems to have a garden of sorts.
We saw another yard full of chickens. We love to stop and check them out up close. They are huge.
Well, I'm not happy with the dryers here. No matter what setting I put them on or how closely I watch them, my shirts come out highly wrinkled. It's quite aggravating. I'll have to do what I did not want to do...buy a damn iron and ironing board tomorrow. I have no tolerance for wrinkled shirts so I just have to do it. Then I'll spend some time getting my clothes in order.
I haven't met any acquaintances yet. Is that really a surprise? Hell no. It takes me awhile to start interacting with people. Give me another month or two or three.
Later